Monday, September 13, 2010

Apple Butter




The apple butter turned out perfect!! This would be a great thing for you to start with if you want to try your hand at canning. Having the right tools will make it a breeze. Check out my apple peeler/slicer/corer, I have the Apple Master from NorPro with the vacuum base, it cost around $25.oo and worth every dime. I peeled, cored and sliced a 1/2 bushel of apples in less than :30 minutes.


The recipe I use has you cook down the apples in 3 cups of water until tender, because the apples are sliced so thin and they are all uniform the cook time was about :20 minutes. I cheated and used my blender to mash the apples, took only seconds, then you return them to the pot add spices and cook them down until they are set, that also didn't take long, an additional :30 minutes. They only need 10 minutes in a water bath canner, bottom line is I got 22 jars of apple butter done in less than 2 hours, WooHoo!!


This handy dandy little tool is gonna make dehydrating apples so easy and fast, can't wait to work up a bushel or two more.


I meet a friend this AM for breakfast and to exchange coupons, our paper had $280.00 worth of coupons Sunday, I was able to pick up a few before they were gone. I only scored around $60.00 from the paper but my store doubles coupons so my $60.00 will turn into $120.00, I have 3 papers so it adds up to $360.00 in free food that I would normally buy. My buddy uses lost of packaged foods and premixed stuff that I don''t use so she scored big with my leftovers. Then headed to the book store for a little indulgence, picked up "The lost Art of Real Cooking", can't wait to dig into this jewel if Kara will be cooperative and take a nap today!!

1 comment: