Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Quick Muffin Mix

Man, my muffin pans look pretty bad, hey they are 38 years old and still work so who cares
Here is the dry muffin quick mix, I stored it in one of the OXO containers, I think this one is the 4 quart size. Watch for sales a Kohl's or Target

Karsyn and took a couple of walks in this 80 degree weather and played around in the kitchen. I have been reading a new cook book "Quick-Fix Healthy Mix" By Casey and Nicole Kellar, that is when I can keep my eye's open once I hit the sack each night. If your looking for a cookbook that uses more healthy ingredients for everyday food you would like this one, and the idea of making up quick mixes is pretty cool for ladies who don't have time to cook from scratch each night. So many of the healthy eatting cook books I see use ingredeants and recipies I can't pronounce let lone try out on the family. Decided to try one of the quick mixes for muffins today. I stink at muffin making, mine look like muffins, smell like muffin, but turn out as hard as hockey pucks, what did I have to loose right.
I put together the mix while Karsyn sat in her swing on the counter and chewed on her toes, then we grabbed a package of frozen blueberries from last summer and made our first batch of blueberry muffins. They looked perfect, opened one up, yepee they were soft and moist, took a taste and knew it would never fly at our house. They didn't have enough sugar and had a strong wheat taste to them. Back to the drawing board, I added more sugar to the mix and tried again, much better but they still have a pretty strong wheat taste, I am OK with it but I am not sure the family will go for them. I wonder if the problem is that our wheat is freshly ground, the recipe calls for store bought wheat, who knows. Mixed up another batch of the quick mix tonight with less wheat and more white flour, hope that will do the trick, gonna whip up a batch in the AM. Good thing I have friends and neighbors who don't mind trying out my kitchen experiments or I would have 2 dozen blueberry muffins to eat alone. Recipe at end of post.
Lettuce update: Lunch today - Chef salad, Supper tonight - Taco's

Dry Quick Mix
4 cups white flour
2 cups wheat flour
3 TBLS baking powder
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 tsp salt

Mix all and sift together, store in container, shelf life 6 months. Makes 2 batches of muffins, super large muffins you could get 1 1/2 dozens out of each batch.

Muffins:
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
Slightly mix all of this together
add to
3 cups quick muffin mix
mix until still a little lumpy, add 1/2 cup what flavor you want, blueberries, strawberries, chocolate chips whatever. I did add a full cup of blueberries and it worked just fine



2 comments:

  1. I have muffin pans that look exactly like that, maybe even worse and certainly no better. Mine are also about that old. I just found your blog. Click on my name and have a look at mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have you linda, I went to your blog tonight, can't wait to have the time to read some old posts

    ReplyDelete