Thursday, January 12, 2012

Make Do Day 12

Granola with chocolate chips

I kept some in chunks for snacking the lose granola we will use in yogurt, oatmeal or whatever.

A little more quilting today, maybe I can finish tomorrow.


Another NO SPEND day!!

First off, thanks for all the comments, for some crazy reason I can't get into my own blog to respond to comments. I have no idea whats up with that, maybe it will fix itself soon, if not I will be doing some baking to sweeten up our geek friend to give it a look.

My make do last night and today was snacks for hubby, I am NOT going to the grocery store for stupid snacks. You would think at his age he could hold off on his feedings but he is stuck with a 3 hour feeding schedule each day. I don't keep a lot of junk food around, chips and such when we are having sandwiches or whatever. He needed something to crunch on and a little something sweet for after dinner. I make up some granola last night that turned out really good, my make do on the granola was adding chocolate chips since we didn't have any wheat germ in the house, I think it was a very clever and tasty substitute! (recipe at end of post) The other make do was blueberry muffins, while he would have rather had M&M cookies I didn't have the time today to make cookies so he will have to make do with muffins.
I am off to bed with a new book I started this AM recommended by Kathy over at
http://justincasebook.wordpress.com/. I had a hard time keeping my hands off the book all day, Kara and hubby were here so I had no time to set for even 5 minutes. Funny how things work out, I was exposed to the flu yesterday and what do you think this book is based on?

A flu pandemic, it really is a great read by Carla Buckley "The Things That Keep Us Here"
Granola:

6 cups oats

2 cups chopped pecans (I think you could use whatever nuts you have on hand)
1 cups chopped walnuts

1/2 cup wheat germ (I would use chocolate chips instead, maybe even bump it up to 2 cups, I'm just saying...)
2/3 Cups maple syrup (I have the store bought stuff so I used 1/3 cup honey & 1/3 cup crap syrup)

1 1/2 cups coconut

2/3 cups light brown sugar

1/2 cup melted butter

1 1/2 Tsp kosher salt

Preheat over to 250 degrees

mix everything up them spread on a jelly roll pan or 2 cookie sheets

Bake for 1 1/2 hours, then check to see if it is golden brown, I turned off the oven and let it set an additional 30 minutes in the oven

Once it is cool you can break it apart and put in sealed container, I left some of ours in chunks to snack on the rest we will use as toppings for whatever.



3 comments:

  1. The quilt looks awesome! Great job on the no-spend! The granola looks delicious!! I wish I could handle oats... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this! I have all the ingredients here so I'm very excited!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm chocolate chips instead of wheat germ??? Yes, that sounds like the perfect "make do" to me lol! Is that book fiction or non-fiction? It sounds like the kind of book I would like to read.
    Poor hubby...NOT!!

    ReplyDelete