Thursday, November 15, 2012

Catch Up Quilting

 Before I move on to quilting the Christmas gift quilts I need to knock out 2 waitng in the wings quilts.
I am doing a very simple meandering FMQ on this quilt. The quilt has no home as of now. I am thinking a charity or gift quilt in the future.

Today is the perfect day to sit and quilt. It's cold, rainy (a little sleet), and my feet need some rest after all the walking last night!! I figure it will take two days to finish this one off as I have Kara this afternoon and all day tomorrow. Next up will be our fall quilt. I found a little of this and that for the backing. I patched it all together this morning thinking I might have the energy to pin baste it over the next two days so it can move right on to the quilting. Having those two quilts finished clears the decks (sorta) for the sewing Christmas blitz.

We had a great time at the Christmas show last night. We have never been at night before as we usually go first thing in the mornings staying most of the day due to the HUGE crowds. Nerve again!!! There was lots of room for walking, checking the little booths, time to speak to many of the owners, I could go on and on. We were even able to park at the venue rather than the overflow parking sometimes a mile away. Even the tour bus parking lots had cleared out The DD's each picked out a few Christmas gifts they would like. Yepee more gifts to add to the ever growing pile in the spare room that are sure to be the gifts they really want! Ha

Today's meatless recipe is......Soup, surprise! Ha

This recipe is another family favorite except for the SIL's they are meat eaters all the way. When I make this soup I have a pot of man chili (lots of meat, no beans) on the stove for the SIL's. We always had meals without meat as I was brought up Seventh Day Adventist. I had never even seen meat in the store until we went to live with our Dad when I was in my early teens. I took me years to acquire a taste for meat. I could give it up tomorrow if need be. Our girls were close to school age before I introduced meat into their diet, maybe that's why they too could care less if we have meat on the table.

I use frozen broccoli from the garden in this recipe, dehydrated would also work or fresh as well.

Cream of Broccoli Soup

1 pound butter (we use butter, margarine is nasty)
2 cups flour (more of less)
2  quarts chicken broth
2 chicken bullion cubes
2  quarts 1/2 and 1/2
1 tsp white pepper
salt to taste
2 pounds of broccoli chopped (more of less to taste)

Use butter and flour to make a roux
Slowly add 1/2 and 1/2 and chicken broth, add a little at a time and keep stirring to keep it from separating
Keep in mind this is a cream soup so watch for scorching!!
Add the spices and broccoli, cover and simmer on low until broccoli is tender.
 As with most soups the longer you can simmer it or leave it sit to incorporate the flavors the better it will be
DON"T store the leftovers in the stock pot as there is sure to be some scorching on the bottom that will soften and come to the top overnight. Yuck!!



2 comments:

  1. You are a quilting queen!
    That soup sounds decadent! My family would love it- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, send me a crown. Feels morw like a sweat shop these days

    ReplyDelete